Health care leaders recently cut the ribbon on a new healing facility in Grand Rapids.
Corwell Health on Wednesday, Dec. 7, opened a new sub-acute rehabilitation (SAR) facility that will provide short-term rehabilitation for people recovering from surgery, serious injury or illness.
The new facility, 1001 Leffingwell Ave. NE, the 15-acre campus has 82,000 square feet and 80 beds.
The location, named Corwell Health-Rehab and Nursing Center Leffingwell, offers sub-acute rehabilitation, low-intensity inpatient rehabilitation and a comfortable healing space for the patient to discharge home.
Occupancy of the SAR facility is expected to begin in early 2023.
“The new sub-acute rehabilitation facility is designed specifically for the needs of our patients and is designed to promote a peaceful recovery,” said Chad Tuttle, senior vice president of hospital operations and post-acute care, Corwell Health West. “Well-designed, compact facilities provide us with a modern environment for both rehabilitation and long-term care.”
The SAR facility includes:
- Over 5,000 square feet of space with gymnasium equipped with exercise and rehabilitation equipment
- A daily living space with a full kitchen, bedroom and bathroom to carry out home-like living activities
- Private dining areas that can be reserved for social and family gatherings
- Three courtyards with sidewalks, benches and tables
- A private, full-service hair salon offering shampoo, styling, cuts, color, shaving and nail treatments.
- Private patient rooms with 55-inch televisions, roll-in showers, comfortable seating and landscape views
- A multi-purpose activity room with seating, books, games and activities
Corwell Health-Rehab and Nursing Center Leffingwell is slated to open in 2024 and will be filled with 125-bed long-term care facilities. This facility, Construction began in August Located on nine acres at the corner of Fuller and Cedar streets in Grand Rapids.
When both facilities are completed, care will transition from Spectrum Health Rehab and Nursing Center-Fuller Avenue, which was recently named one of Newsweek’s Best Nursing Homes of 2023 in Michigan, according to a statement released by Corwell Health.
Additionally, as part of Corwell Health’s goal to make its facilities carbon-neutral by 2040, Corwell Health West is partnering with CMS Energy to build a 2.35-acre solar array on the Leffingwell property that will power the SAR facility.